Congrats Girl! You've landed a phone interview (also known as a phone screening)! You're already on the right track coming here for the how-to. In a phone interview you want be memorable and highlight your strongest skills. Here's the step by step for preparing for your phone interview.
1. Choose a quiet location with good reception.
2. Sit up at a desk as if you were in an face-to-face interview: Dress in Business Casual.
3. Eat Breakfast: Start your day with a brain teaser and good nutrition!
4. Look up Potential Questions in advance: Ask peers, career center or Glassdoor.com to find out what type of questions are usually asked by this company! Also, have questions prepared for your interviewer.
5. Prepare Notes: Use your resources. ie: Laptop, notebook, pens etc. You need to have the job description, your resume, skill set information, and a few life experiences. Think of stories that display:
c. Handling conflict
d. Problem- solving
e. Biggest Failure (and what you learned)
6. Research the company: You should know their major products, services, awards and mission. What charities do they love?
7. Find a Wow Factor: Whether it's a quote or short story, be memorable. Do not be afraid to be direct!
8. Be personable. You want to pass the layover test. The Layover test is when Billy ask himself "If my flight had a layover (delay), could I hang out in the terminal for hours with you?"
9. Record Your voice and listen to it. You need to be able to control your pitch and speed.
10. Avoid all distractions! Turn the TV/radio off!
Be prepared and remember " People will forget what you said, People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel"